Sunday, June 24, 2007

I like the ice cream at the pool better

In a couple of days I'll be on an airplane heading home to Sweden and family, ocean and rocks, lakes and woods, the beauty that I remember from girlhood and that still inspires me. But before I leave my suburban US existence behind for a few weeks, here's a silly ode to the sun-baked, chlorine-scented, sunscreen-slicked flipside of my childhood memories.


They sell ice cream at the pool.
At the front desk there's a chart with pictures
Of twelve different kinds or more.
Mom says she's got ice cream at home in the freezer
So we're not going to buy it here,
But I like the ice cream at the pool better.


I like it when the ice cream sandwiches fuzzy my fingers with chocolate
And I have to lick it off.


I like it when the rocket pop paints my lips and tongue with reddish-purply blue
And my fingers trickly drops of sticky.


I want a drumstick salty with peanuts and a hard plug of chocolate
At the bottom of the cone.

I want to bite into a premium ice cream bar and feel the chocolate sheathing split and slide
Like the earth's techtonic plates
And cool vanilla lava slipping down my throat.


I want a choco-taco
Here and now
On the hot desert concrete
By the pool
Right
Before
Dinner!


Mom says she's got ice cream at home in the freezer
So we're not going to buy it here.
But I like the ice cream at the pool better.



1 comment:

  1. Beautiful. They do want it Right Before Dinner don't they. I hope they get it often enough in their lives, but not so often that they forget how blissful and naughty it is.

    ReplyDelete